You know what rabbits do that makes them awesome?

Friday, July 25, 2008 | | |

I bought a rabbit at a pet store. The young girl there told me it eats cables, "So, you have to lift your cables, or cover them somehow." I asked them if there were any other issues. "No, not really."

Hey, you know what? It also eats wooden furniture, plastic toys, the buttons off of remote controls (try finding "menu" with nothing but jagged nubs for buttons), book covers and pages, strands of carpet (imagine tiny holes where the carpet used to be) and anything foam.

You know what else it does that I LOVE? It jumps on my freshly baked trout when I set the plate down on the coach for a second.

Oh, and it bites my mom sometimes.

You know what else is sweet? All the tiny rabbit poops under my bed.

Oh, here's something. Rabbits have an extra stage in their digestion. They eat their food, then they poop out these little things called cecotropes. No, not those cute little vitamin-like droppings you see scattered here and there. No, no. This is something else. Don't worry. You've never seen cecotropes. And you haven't seen them because the rabbit eats them straight out of its own ass. You think I'm making this up because it is the most ridiculous, nightmarish thing you have ever heard, but, I'm not making this up. I could never think of anything quite that bad. So, anyway, the rabbit eats it's food, then a little while later it decides to poop out the partially digested version of that food and enjoy it in a whole new way. Then it poops out those little perfect balls that look like Sixlets without the candy coating.

Also, my daughter loves the rabbit, who incidentally is named Hiccups (the rabbit, not my daughter) so it isn't going anywhere. Sometimes I imagine Hiccups sailing out of the eighth story window of our apartment. Ah, what a peaceful silent journey. "It's been real Hiccups. It's been so very, very real. Say hello to your cecotropes for me, would you?"

6 comments:

  1. Adam Wilson says:

    heh heh...well done.

    And to be fair...I signed up to the RSS feed.

  2. Nailed It says:

    Okay, I'm in.

  3. Fightin' Mad Mary says:

    Shane sent me.

  4. 6d 6a 6d 63 73 68 61 6e 65 2e 63 6f 6d 20 76 2e 35 says:

    Shane sent me too and now (Thanks Shane) I cannot get the imagery of the bunny impacting (hopefully not) the pavement. Very funny tale of bunny poop (who knew?)

  5. Anonymous says:

    Found you via The Lovely Shane.

    Bunny revenge for you: play here :)

  6. mrs. d says:

    i'm pretty sure this story made me laugh harder than man other blogs i've read. that and i had tears streaming down my face as i was trying to read it aloud to my husband. kudos, you cecophile! and thanks to shane for the nod in this direction.

    hubby says keep up the polls, only it sounds more like riotous laughter and not him actually saying it out loud.